Saturday 11 May 2013

T-65

The following is an article I have written for the Marathon publicity

 My second St Edmund’s Organ Marathon – the first was five years ago and raised over £5000 – is in aid of the organ restoration appeal. The present instrument was originally installed in St Dunstan’s Church, Stepney in 1902. It was moved to St Edmund’s about twenty-five years ago and is currently in need of some serious attention. The theme of the event is “A Musical Alphabet” with each hour being devoted to a different letter. There is also an evening ticketed recital entitled “From Advent to Trinity” featuring music from the liturgical year by Bach, Walton, Howells and Boellmann. There will also be a limited number of post-recital super tickets available. On the Monday afternoon there will be a children’s experience where I shall be demonstrating how the organ works and playing requests with a chance to have a go on the instrument.

You can support me in a number of ways. Firstly you can sponsor me for the event and encourage your family, friends and work colleagues to do the same. For a minimum donation of £10 you can request a particular piece of music to be played at a time of your choosing with a dedication in the souvenir programme. I would be grateful for as much notice as possible for your requests as I may need to source the sheet music and I cannot guarantee to be able to play your request. Finally, it would be great to see you in the audience on the day (and night!).

Sponsorship forms are available at the back of the church. If you would like a request then please contact me directly. My email address is hammond@cantab.net. During the event itself you will be able to contact me at the console on Twitter. You can follow @hammondmarathon or use the hashtag #hammondmarathon. I have a marathon blog at www.organ-marathon.blogspot.co.uk and will also have a webcam running on my website www.mark-hammond.co.uk.

No comments: